Tableau Business Intelligence Master Tutorial - ID Card Make

Tableau Business Intelligence Master Tutorial - ID Card Make Trish Conner-Cato: Welcome to LearnIt Training. The exercise files for today's course are located in the video description below. Don't forget to like and subscribe. Hi, everyone. My name is Trish Connor Cato. This course is for any user who has prior Tableau experience. With so many competing technologies, Tableau has emerged as a powerful favorite in the world of business intelligence. This course will take your Tableau skills to the next level by teaching you best practices along with the most sought after dashboard designs..

Tableau Business Intelligence Master Tutorial

You're about to embark upon an intense but amusing journey that will provide you with an arsenal of innovative techniques. Your new tool set will help you reuse your current Tableau worksheets and to create new ones for the purpose of including those worksheets on dashboards that you will be proud to share. Users will enjoy interacting with your dashboards for the purpose of getting deep analytical information from them and they will be impressed with their flexibility. Most important, the class will overview various business scenarios that translate.

Into different types of dashboards and you will leave with that understanding. By the end of the course, you should be able to create effective dashboards on your own, and you will also walk away with class files that help you get a head start. In each module, we'll work with a specific data set and build visualizations to be used on our dashboards. In our final module, Module 9, we will use regional data to learn about hovering actions and granularity. We'll also learn about the count vs..

Countd functions, ratio, and standard deviation. Looking to support our channel and get a great deal? Become a member today to unlock ad free videos. That's right. Your favorite courses without a single ad. Interested in a specific video purchase one of our ad free courses individually. Looking for even more gain access to exams, certificates, and exclusive content@learnitanytime.com. More information can be found in the video description below..

And this final module, we'll be using regional data. And we'll be learning how to use hovering actions on dashboards. We'll learn how to change the granularity on your visualizations. We'll review, and I know we talked about it briefly earlier, the difference between the count function and the count distinct function. You'll learn how to use ratios, and we'll end by using standard deviation. Two different ways. Alright, let's see what we can do with this regional data..

It's in the form of an Excel workbook, so I'm going to click on Excel and just grab the file. And you'll notice that it's mostly measures in this file. We have the county and state fields which have been assigned geographic roles. We have the region field, which has not been assigned a geographic role. And then the rest is measures, adult obesity by percent of population, adult smokers, children in poverty, diabetic. Food Insecure, Number of Records, and Physically Inactive..

We're not going to use Number of Records, so I'm going to go ahead and hide that field. And let's go to our first sheet. Now you'll notice at the bottom, right above Measure Values, there's a measure that shows up at the sheet view called Regional Data Count. We're going to hide that field as well. And then we'd like to drag Measure Names to Filters. And so it just has the ones that are tracking these statistics. We're going to select OK..

And then we're going to show that filter. And we want to make it a single value dropdown. So what we're going to do first, we're going to create two different maps. And then we're going to add them each to two different dashboards. So that you can learn about hovering actions. And so this is going to be the first of our two maps. Let's go ahead and name this sheet State Map with Tracking Statistics..

And then, actually, let's just name it State Map. I have a better idea for this. state map. Okay. And so now we're getting ready to add our fields here. We're going to drag the state field into the view so it automatically creates a map for us. And let's drag the region field to color. So we get our color legend. We're going to drag measure values to detail on the marks card and notice.

It's just showing one because we have a single value drop down and that's the one that's showing in our filter And let's drag measure names to columns in front of longitude So when you hover over any mark on the map right now, you're seeing the region the state and the adult obesity. And we can change to different measures and you'll see how that shows up on the tooltip as well..

I'm going to put it back on adult obesity, the first one. Now I'm going to just put my pan tool on so I can pan across the map and I'm going to zoom in on it a little bit more. And then I'm going to go to size on the marks card and I'm going to increase the size of the marks. Just a little bit gonna add a background map. So I'm going to go to background maps from the map menu, and I'm going.

To use the normal one this time. And we're going to go back to the map menu and go to background layers. And we want to add coastline. We also want the county borders and names. And let's see, and we'll add our water labels..

    We're also going to add a data layer to this map. So I'm going to go down to no data layer at the bottom and I'm going to - ID Card Make

    Do the median household income under U. S. households. For the detail, I'll leave it on state and I'm going to just choose a different palette. I'm going to choose the brown sequential one. And of course we get our legend on the right showing that information about the household income. Bye..

    So, real basic map, we're going to do a few other things here. Let's go up to the title, and after the sheet name placeholder, I'm going to type a space in the word tracking, and then I'm going to go to my insert drop down and select measure names and click okay. So it's more dynamic as I'm looking at a different measure. You'll notice that that shows in the title. It also shows up here. Right now I'm on diabetic, here, right, and that's showing the header, and I want.

    To format that header just a little bit, and I want to make the font, like, 11 point, for the header, and make it bold. Now would be a good time to save this file, I'm gonna call mine regional tracking. Now let's go ahead and close the format pane, and bring up a new sheet. And we'll name this one state slash county map..

    For this one, let's add a state filter. We're going to use all the states. And we want to show that filter as a single value dropdown. And then we're going to add a county filter. And we're just going to click OK. And we're going to add that one. And then we're going to show it. And we want that one to be a multiple value drop down..

    And then I want state filter to come before county, so I'm just dragging county underneath it. Let's go ahead and drag measure names to filter. We'll just do okay. And let's show that one and make it a single value drop down as well. So I want state, county, and then measure names filter in that order on the right. Now we're going to drag state into the view..

    And if your map didn't populate, you would want to make sure that your county filter is set to all and not none. Now I'm going to just pan so I get this centered a little bit. And I'll zoom in on it. Let's drag Measure Names to Columns in front of Longitude. And we're gonna drag Measure Values to Detail. And go ahead and drag County to Detail as well..

    So now, let's go to our State Filter, which is set to Single Value. And I'm gonna select California. And then when I go to my county drop down, it only has the California counties. So, I am going to deselect all for county, and I'm gonna select Alameda, and I'm gonna go down and find San Francisco County. That's my San Francisco and my Alameda..

    So the focus is now on just those two counties. I'm going to go back to all for my county filter. So now, I mean, you can go ahead and add a background layer if you'd like, and a data layer if you'd like one of those on this map. So I will let you do that on your own, but before we do that, let's make this title dynamic. So I'm gonna double click it, it has the sheet name, and I'll say, after that, like we did on the other one, tracking. And then I'll insert the measure name so it will update..

    I'm gonna go ahead and save again. So, go ahead and pause the video. Select a background for your map and layers if you'd like. I use normal again. And this time I did the male female ratio. data layer, and I use that same brown sequential palette, and it's by state. So now we have both of our maps ready. We have to create one more thing, which is not going to make very much sense right now. until after we get to the dashboard, but we need to create this other sheet..

    So go ahead and bring up a new sheet and save.

    Let's name the new sheet, Reset Filter. And we're just going to create a calculated field for the sheet. So let's hide the title first of all. And we're just going to create a simple calculated field. And we're going to name the calculated field a Reset Filter..

    And then, in double quotes, we're just going to type Reset Filter. And so this is ultimately going to be a button on the dashboard that can reset a filter. In other words, clear a filter so all the values show. So we're going to click OK on that. Doesn't make sense in this moment, but you'll see it play out. So let's go and bring up a new dashboard page. Go ahead and get your size together..

    And let's go ahead and drag a fixed horizontal container onto the page. And bring our state map into it. And we're gonna leave that one, yeah, we're gonna leave it showing the title. Let's go to another dashboard page, size it, and we're going to bring a horizontal container into this page and bring in our state county map. And what I'm going to do on the page is I'm going to just take my state back to all..

    And here, because we didn't do it on the sheet, I want to format that header just to make it bigger like we did on the other map. I think we did the font like up to 12 or something. Yeah. And I think I made it bold. Okay. So now, let's name our first dashboard. And we'll name it State Map Tracking..

    And our second dashboard, we're gonna name State County Map Tracking. And go ahead and save your file again. And you can close that format pane if it's still open. And now we're about ready to set up our hovering action. Let's go back to our State Map Tracking dashboard. And what we can do here is go to the dashboard menu and we're going to choose actions. So we're going to do a hovering filter action for this..

    So we're going to click add action and then we're going to choose the filter action. And we're going to name this tracking filter. So the source sheet is the state map tracking that we're on. And over on the right, we're going to run action on hover. The target sheet, we're going to do the drop down and choose our state county map tracking.

    And it only has the one object on it, so that's all that's showing there right now. And over on the right of that, we're gonna say clearing the selection will show all values. And then at the bottom, it's asking you what do you want to filter, all fields or selected fields. We want selected fields. And we're going to click to add, and we're going to choose state. And at the bottom, we're going to click OK. And then we're going to click OK again..

    So, it happened so quickly. If I'm on state map tracking, and I hover over any state, it takes me to state county map tracking. And it's filtered for the state that I hovered over on the previous sheet. So if I go back to State Map Tracking, and I hover over California, it automatically switches me to State County Map Tracking, and it is filtered for California. Now the thing about it is, you'll notice that these filters on State County Map Tracking, they are not updating..

    This is a different kind of filter. So they're both saying All, and that's not the case. And so, the thing is, is that if you're going to do a filter on a hover action, I would suggest getting rid of the filter that the hover action is controlling. So I'm going to just remove the state filter from the dashboard. Now, I could always bring it back. So, actually I'm going to say cancel that because it's in the container..

    We'll just leave it there for right now. I actually didn't have it selected. I had the container selected. But before we do that, let me show you something else. The other thing that happens is that my county drop down is not showing just California, it's showing all of the counties. So both of these are inactive. So, What I would normally do is I wouldn't have either of them here. The intent would be so that if they're using these filters, they could filter by one state at a time, and then they can filter by different counties in the state..

    So I'm selecting them individually without having the container selected, and I'm going to remove them from the dashboard, both state and county. And now I'm going to show you how to use that reset filter that we created on the other sheet. So now we're getting ready to use that reset filter that we created. But first, let's go back to that sheet and make sure that you dragged it to text on the marks card. The title is hidden, and just fit it to the entire view. And then let's go back to our state county map tracking dashboard..

    We are going to put it on floating, and drag the reset filter sheet onto the view. And then we are going to resize it. Well, first I'm gonna hide the title here. We don't need the title. Gonna resize it so it fits over to the right. And it certainly doesn't need to be as tall as it is. So something like that. Now I can actually go to the sheet that it's on..

    Let's go to Right click on it and go to format. And let's make this font about 11 point. And bold. And you could give it a background color if you want. I'm gonna just leave it that way. And now we can go back to the dashboard. It looks a little bit better in that box. When it's a little bit bigger..

    And that's good. And so now we're gonna go to our dashboard menu again. Go back to actions, and we're going to add an action here, and it's going to be another filter action, and the source sheet is the state county map sheet, and we're going to, excuse me, that dashboard, and then we're going to uncheck state county map under a filter. Source sheet. So just this filter is selected on the right. I'm going to choose select this time And then the target sheet is going.

    To be the same dashboard You're gonna uncheck reset filter down there and it's going to be performed on that map and over to the right We want to say show all values at the bottom We're going to do the option button for selected fields, and we're going to choose the state field from the list. Now you'll notice at the bottom it says it's a warning, missing field on reset filter..

    That's because the state field is not on that reset filter. worksheet. We don't want it there. That error is going to come up or that warning is going to come up. We can safely ignore it. It's not going to impact what we're doing and we're going to click okay and we're going to okay again. And now we're ready to test our reset filter. We can just go over to the right. We put it on select, so when we click on it, it should.

    Populate the entire map again. If I go back to State Map Tracking Dashboard, and let's say I hover over New York. Let me get up there without hovering anywhere else. So now, this one is filtered for New York, and I can just click Reset Filter to get it back to all the data. Pretty cool. So, something else you can do before we go back to creating more visualizations for our next topic..

    If I right click on my State Map Tracking Dashboard tab at the bottom, I can say hide all sheets. So any sheets that I'm using on that dashboard are now hidden. You'll notice they're not showing down in my view there. And I'm gonna do the same on my state county map tracking dashboard, hide all sheets. So now I'm just seeing those two dashboard sheets. If you want to show the sheets again, you can just right click and unhide all sheets on either dash..

    Kind of makes your file a little bit more concise. Once you have the vizs on a dashboard, you may not need to see the individual sheets. Although, you can still go to the sheet even though it's hidden. So, just wanted you to know that. Let's bring up a new sheet now. And we'll get ready to talk about granularity. Let's go ahead and name this sheet Exclude County. Granularity refers really to the level of detail that you're seeing..

    And I'm gonna spell exclude right here. It refers to the level of detail you're seeing in your view, really. So if we put state, region, and county fields in the view, right? The most level of detail would be at the county level and the least amount of detail would be at the state level. Now, there are functions that you can use that are known as level of detail functions to control granularity. And we're going to use one of them now..

    There's only three kinds. There's exclude, include, and fixed. We're going to use exclude now. And you'll be able to use, you'll see fixed, which I really think is the most useful one in a little bit. So we're gonna start with exclude. Let's drag both state and county to rows. And adult obesity. to text on the marks card..

    Level of detail expressions, they are performed on the fields that you have in the view. And you'll see how this works. This is one of the hardest topics to explain in Tableau. So bear with me here as we build this. Let's go ahead and create a new calculated field, and we're gonna call this calculated field ExcludeCounty, just like we did the sheet name. And so when you're using, and I said, you know, the level of detail expressions, There are three different varieties, but they use the same syntax..

    So what we need to do here is we need to start it with an open curly bracket, and then we're gonna grab the exclude function, and we're gonna start typing in county and grab the county field. So you start with the open curly bracket, use exclude, include, or fixed, and then after your field that you're performing it on, you're going to do a colon. And then after the colon, we're going to grab the sum function and grab the adult.

    Obesity percent of population field. So this is really saying when you perform this calculation and it says it contains errors. So let me fix that because it has to end with a closing curly bracket. So it's saying exclude the county. When you're calculating the sum of the adult obesity percent of population..

    Okay. So you're like, well, what does that mean? Let's go ahead and click okay. And let's just grab that exclude county calculated field and drag it into the table. So. Let's also go to analytics, drag totals onto the view and drop it in subtotals. Alright, so you notice that you have the same number when you're excluding the county. So this first column, right, is the adult obesity percent of population by county..

    The second column has the same repeating number. Now we added subtotals, so if we scroll down to the bottom of Alabama, we'll see the subtotal. So, it's showing you When you're excluding the county, it's only showing you the total adult obesity for that state, right? So it's the same number in the total. So, why is that different than just taking the county field off of there, right? So if I remove my county pill, then I'm just seeing it by state and.

    I don't have the counties listed. So I want the counties to be listed. So I'm going to put those back up there, add all members. And this way, because maybe I want to do a further calculation, like a county is excluded. So maybe because I have the by county number here, I might want to do a ratio or something like that. So if I didn't have the subtotals, I wouldn't have that 23..

    79 for Alabama. I can see it clearly there. And I might want to use that in a calculation with a specific county metric. So that is the exclude level of detail expression that we use there. Go ahead and save your file. Now aside from using level of detail expressions for granularity, there is another way that you can do this. Let's go ahead and bring up a new sheet..

    Let's name this sheet Food insecurity and physically inactive will say metrics by state slash region. Let's drag the state field and the food insecure field into columns, and we'll drag region and physically inactive to rows. So you have one mark for each state region, and when you hover over it, it.

    DISCLAIMER: In this description contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I'll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel and allows us to continuetomake videos like this. All Content Responsibility lies with the Channel Producer. For Download, see The Author's channel. The content of this Post was transcribed from the Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNDom16dKM
Previous Post Next Post